Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Terrors of Teaching with Technology

It's the first day of a new semester. I stride up to the podium brimming with self confidence and just a little pride in the course I've spent weeks designing. Three hundred faces watch my every move. " Let's see now, when I punch this button the projector will come on and the learners will be able to follow as I show them how to log on and naviagate through my WebCT course." Nothing. I punch the button again and wait hopefully. Still nothing. The first snickers of derisive laughter arise and multiply. As a trickle of sweat drips onto my hand, I make a third desperate stab at the button. A chant slowly catches hold until my ears are drowning in the noise, "Loser! Loser! Loser!"

The screech of the alarm wakens me. Another nightmare! A prophecy? I'll find out later this morning as I meet class for the first time. I'm just a typical faculty member at a large university trying to figure out how to teach with technology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home