Monday, June 13, 2005

QuickTake: Students--Staying Ahead of the Curve

I had to write a quick followup to my previous post when I noticed that the University Business piece linked in that post and this one includes a take on student responses to technology in the classroom. Bart Collins, director of Digital Content for Teaching and Learning Technologies at Purdue, is featured:

Students, in Collins' experience, already get it. "In some ways," he says, "they're already past it." Desktops with webcams are already old hat. Student lifestyles are different from what they were a generation ago. They discount the idea that a person needs to be physically present in order to experience fully what is happening at another location. Flexibility is more important to them; how and when they communicate is up in the air. "I walk around lecturing, watching kids send instant messages while I'm talking," says Collins. "It may annoy me, but I have to acknowledge that a classroom is a place to have other relationships, too."

Flexibility! That's one characteristic of distance learning that appeals to faculty, too.
Link

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While both faculty and students may enjoy the flexibility. I myself prefer, in all situations, good old-fashioned human interaction. Just as much can be lost in translation, so can much be lost when body language, eye contact, and voice inflection are left out.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home